Know How To Submit Your HSA Claims Properly For Faster Payments
While in an HSA group plan its best to know how to process any receipts for any Health Spending Account claims. Most receipts need to be turned in within a certain period of time from the date of the service performed while others can be electronically filed by your provider. Its always best to ask your HSA group administrator for your particular group benefits plan. Below is a listing of some of the normal methods of how to submit an HSA claim:
Extended Health claims
You should always make a copy of your receipts and then submit your original receipts with a completed HSA claim form for claims such as vision, chiropractor and reimbursement drugs. Be doubly sure to attach all supporting documents and original receipts. If necessary, mail the signed form, with your receipts to the address indicated on the form. Contact your administrator for any changes in how to submit a claim.
Depending on your HSA plan there are usually two ways to pay for your prescription:
- Direct Bill: If your benefit plan includes this feature, your pharmacist will be able to bill your provider electronically for prescriptions. Simply show your HSA identification card as proof of coverage when ordering your prescription, and your pharmacist will take care of submitting the claim for payment.
- Reimbursement: Prescription drugs may also be paid for directly and then claimed for reimbursement on an HSA form. Find out if you have to submit your original receipts when submitting the form by contacting your group plan administrator.
Chiropractic, Physiotherapy and Vision Claims
Some group HSA plans allow your chiropracter, physiotherapist and opticician to submit your HSA claims online. If this service is available to you and your provider utilizes this service you will no longer need to pay out of pocket for the entire claim then wait to be reimbursed for the portion covered by your benefit plan. Your provider should receive payment directly and you will only pay for the portion of services not covered by your HSA plan.
Normally there are three ways to arrange payment for dental claims.
- If available, your dentist can submit your claim electronically
- Pay your dentist directly
- Have any amount automatically deducted from your account
Most HSA group plans detail a specific period of time in which allowable expenses must be submitted. Most must be submitted within 12 months of the date the service was performed. As a group member you should always refer to your benefits booklet to determine how long you have to submit your expenses. As well, you can ask your insurance agent or group HSA accounts manager.